What is Wellness?
The concept of “wellness” is vague and has been defined in various ways. The National Wellness Institute states: Wellness is an active process through which people become aware of, and make choices toward, a more successful existence. We add:
- Wellness is a conscious, self-directed, and evolving process.
- Wellness is multi-dimensional and holistic, encompassing lifestyle, mental and spiritual well-being, and the environment.
- Wellness is positive and affirming.
Essentially, to enhance your well-being is to help yourself realize your full potential.
Our philosophy toward wellness is that taking care of your body is a means of taking care of other areas of your life so that you can be successful.
You can see this philosophy in our wellness theme, “Reinvent Yourself. Realize Your Potential.” This theme conveys two ideas:
- Reinvent Yourself – If you have self-limiting beliefs, we encourage you to “reinvent yourself,” starting today. Re-evaluate how you define what it means to be athletic, social, wealthy, etc., and create a new vision for yourself.
- Realize Your Potential – All of us have goals and dreams and some of us are great at turning those goals into reality. “Realizing your potential” means making decisions daily that support your goals. Perfection isn’t required. Small changes can have a big impact.
This theme is not intended to reinforce negative self-talk or negative self-images; it encourages you to question negative beliefs and attitudes about yourself and make positive changes. This theme speaks to raising the bar for yourself as you engage in wellness, the active process through which you become aware of, and make choices toward, a more successful existence.