What is Green Steps?
A six-week walking challenge program for DePaul faculty and staff who want to engage in regular physical activity and have some fun in the process!
- The challenge begins Monday, September 24 and runs for 5 weeks through Sunday, October 28.
- Registration: Register individuals / teams at the registration link below.
Green Steps helps you:
- Lead a healthy life through consistent activity
- Sustain the environment through an "alternative" mode of transportation
- Build community while walking with friends and colleagues
- Improve mental focus and creativity through physical activity
- Apply daily steps to the DePaul Healthy Vincent$ program
Who can participate?
Current DePaul faculty and staff members.
How does it work?
Register a team or as a free agent to be assigned to a team or participate as an individual. Use a pedometer or other tracking device to track your steps and record this information on an online platform. You will strive for individual goals but also engage in friendly team competition.
What is the goal?
To help individuals develop a lasting routine for physical and social activity. The daily goal will vary, depending your starting ability. We want to see everyone improve over the 8 week challenge! Weekly emails will assist participants in setting and pursuing daily step and other activity goals.
- Register first as part of DePaul, then join the DePaul Green Steps Challenge 2018
- If you were registered last year, the 2017 challenge may show up on your dashboard; click "Find More Challenges" in the bottom left large green box.
- If you were registered last year and forgot your password, click "Forgot My Password" and you will be sent a link to change your password.
- Once you click “join,” you will be asked again for your contact information as well as team preferences. You may create a team, join a team of your colleagues, or join as an individual.
- It is easier to determine your team name and team participants prior to registration, but you may modify and add to a different team later even if you register as an individual.
Note: the tracking platform works better in Google Chrome or Firefox than Internet Explorer.
How are teams formed?
You may put together a team with friends or colleagues from your own or other areas on campus or you may register as an individual or "Free Agent."
Team members can come from anywhere within DePaul. The “team” part is that individual steps will be added together for team totals.
- If you know who you want on your team, develop a team name BEFORE you register.
- Once a team name is in the system, it will be available on the pull-down menu of team names and others may join your team if it is not full.
- Teams are limited to four people, so if you have too many people, split into two teams. Reach out to someone new or in a different department to complete a team or wait for a free agent.
What if we don’t have four participants, but we still want to be on the same team?
Have everyone on your team register with your team. On Friday, September 21, Free Agents (individuals who did not choose a team, but would like one) will be assigned to teams.
Can I join after the official start date?
Yes! Participants may join at any time. Starting late may make it more difficult to attain the number of weeks of participation required to meet the Healthy Vincent$ qualification. Campus Recreation will not pro-rate step totals or make any other related concessions.
In the past you've given out free pedometers to everyone. Are they still available?
Many use various devices such as free phone apps, Apple Watches, FitBits to count their steps. But if you need a pedometer to count yours, we do have a limited number available. Registered "Greensteppers" may step on over to the Ray Meyer Fitness & Recreation Center weekdays 9 am - 7 pm to pick one up! If you do not work on the Lincoln Park campus, email us at the contact email below and we will put one in campus mail for you.
Do I have to use a Campus Rec pedometer?
No! Many people have tracking available on their phones or some other device. Use any device as long as you can see a total of steps taken at the end of the day. Our system does not link to any devices so you will have to log steps manually into the online application. Campus Recreation will not be checking, calibrating, or otherwise monitoring pedometers; reporting is on the honor system.
What if we have a team member drop out?
You can add a new person if you want your team to be competitive, but if you can’t find someone else, just keep walking! We will look at average number of steps and step totals.
How do I ensure that participation counts toward Healthy Vincent$ wellness program?
You must report your participation by Tuesday, October 30 according to the directions on the DePaul University Human Resources website
Questions? Contact Sarah Hardin
, Associate Director Campus Recreation.