Connect real-world experiences to your future career
Whether you are looking to build professional skills, develop job search tools to help you land your next job, or learn how to navigate your current internship in order to stand out, the University Internship Program (UIP) has a course for you. UIP's practical 4-credit courses can help you make the most of your internship experience and fulfill DePaul's Experiential Learning graduation requirement. View the full course list.
|Complete the UIP
Steps for Enrollment
Step 1: Secure an internship
- Your current part- or full-time job may qualify for UIP. Review the position standards below.
- Polish your resume and cover letter. Search for opportunities on Handshake.
- Meet with your career advisor for internship search strategies.
Step 2: Attend a UIP orientation webinar
- This is a prerequisite workshop and must be completed in order to enroll in a UIP course.
- Students who have not yet secured an internship are welcome to attend this workshop.
- Register in advance via Handshake.
- Since orientation attendance records expire after one year, be sure to submit your proposal soon after you attend.
Step 3: Submit a proposal
- Once you have secured an internship, complete the online proposal form at uip.depaul.edu.
- The UIP team will email your supervisor to verify your internship. Once he or she confirms your employment details, the team will approve your proposal!
Step 4: Explore UIP courses
- After you attend a UIP orientation and receive a proposal approval email, the UIP team will manually enroll you in a course.
- To request enrollment, please email the UIP team with your DePaul ID and top three course selections, in order of preference. Find available course selections on Campus Connect.
Internship Position Standards
An internship position should meet these seven qualifications.
Your internship should:
- Allow you to explore career development issues and interests
- Open up opportunities for you to enhance analytical, technical and interpersonal skills
- Not entail more than 25% clerical work
- Involve substantial interaction with professional staff
- Be supervised or mentored by a paid professional within the organization
- Require a minimum of 10 hours per week and a minimum of 100 hours total of work experience
- Require you to work at least 10 consecutive weeks, or same amount of weeks as the term of enrollment (e.g. Winter intersession term is only three weeks long)
Authorization for International Students
If you have an F-1 or J-1 non-immigrant visa status, you must first obtain the necessary authorization to engage in off-campus employment from International Student and Scholar Services (ISS). If you have any questions regarding employment authorization, contact ISS.
Internship Plu$ Program
The Internship Plu$ Program provides up to $1,200 in financial assistance to eligible undergraduate students working in a quarter-long, unpaid internship. While working, you will also enroll in a UIP course. Consideration will only be given to undergraduate students with financial needs. You may work at other paid or unpaid jobs while you are taking advantage of this financial support opportunity. At this time, there are a limited number of spots available each quarter.
To apply for this program, please search for the application on DePaul Scholarship Connect.
Please note, the program isn't available during winter intersession or summer quarter.
In addition to UIP, undergraduate colleges and schools at DePaul offer internships for academic credit through their departments. For information about these internships, contact your college office.