Who: We are seeking 30 men of color to serve as workshop facilitators at the 2019 MIP Conference
- When: Friday, February 1, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Where: DePaul's Lincoln Park Campus, Student Center, 2400 N. Sheffield Ave., Room 120 AB
- What: MIP Conference hosted by DePaul’s College Access office
Male Initiative Project (MIP)
is an annual conference held for young men of color who attend high schools within Chicago. The conference serves as a day of leadership development in an effort to debunk stereotypes about our city’s young men as well as to empower participants to make informed decisions and actions. This year’s conference theme, #FriendsNotFollowers
, will center the idea of friendship as an action. The goal of the day is for students to move past surface-level definitions of friendship and to understand friendship as an act that includes advocacy, brotherhood, and ally-ship. Students will be challenged to apply their new definition of friendship to an advocacy project addressing a topic of their choosing within their community. Each participating school will have the opportunity to present their community project in a workshop at the CPS Young Men of Color Summit (YMCS) taking place in March 2019.
As conference facilitator, you will guide students through a set curriculum that walks students through the concept of friendship as action and engage students in meaningful conversations as they develop their community project. In addition, you will serve as your students’ accountability partner by checking in on them 3-4 weeks after the conference to monitor their progress on their community project and submit a brief feedback form. The feedback you share from your check-in will inform which groups will have the opportunity to present at the Young Men of Color Summit (YMCS) taking place in March 2019.
As a facilitator you agree to:
- Attend a single two-hour training during mid-to-late January (exact dates and times TBD). Training sessions will be available at DePaul’s Loop and Lincoln Park campuses.
- Facilitate for the full day on February 1 from 10 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.
- Complete a follow-up check-in with your facilitation group by March 1. Check-ins can be completed virtually (Skype, email, etc.) or in person.
- Facilitators will receive training and facilitator manuals.
- Free breakfast and lunch will be provided at the conference.
Questions can be directed to Amanda Parada-Villatoro, director of College Access, at firstname.lastname@example.org