I have worked at the UCWbL for a little over a year now and this experience has greatly impacted my time as a DePaul student. As a tutor, I have worked with students to brainstorm topics before they have even begun to write. I have spoken with international students in comparing Chicago to their own cities, while simultaneously helping them to grow their English vocabulary. I have even assisted students in organizing and designing their online portfolios through Digication.
Many students do not realize all that the UCWbL offers and more students should really take advantage of our diverse services. Some may think that they don’t have time to make an appointment, but with five different kinds of appointments, there is something for everyone:
1. Conversation Partner: English Language Learning (ELL) students practice their vocabulary, grammar, and overall conversation skills in-person.
2. Face-to-Face: Students collaborate in-person with their tutor during any stage of the writing or project process.
3. Online Real-time: Students meet and collaborate remotely with their tutor over video and live text chat.
4. Screencast Feedback: Students submit a draft and their tutor provides audio and visual commentary via a 10-15 minute video clip.
5. Written Feedback: Students submit a draft and their tutor provides written marginal comments and a detailed summary note.
Note: Appointment options 1-3 require students be present during the actual appointment time, whereas options 4 and 5 do not. Rather, in these options the tutor works independently on writers’ submissions and they receive feedback after the appointment is over.
The benefits of making an appointment at the UCWbL are countless, but I will leave you with a few:
1. Second Opinion: It is always great to receive feedback and you as the writer get to decide what the tutor focuses on. Whether you need to be reassured that your thesis is strong, double check your APA citations, or brush up on your grammar, having a second pair of eyes can’t hurt!
2. Minimizes Procrastination: Making an appointment allows you to set deadlines for yourself. Whether you are brainstorming with a tutor or receiving feedback on a draft, with an appointment at the UCWbL you are not leaving your assignment until the last minute.
3. Possible Extra Credit: Some professors offer extra credit if you take the time to make an appointment at the UCWbL. Be sure to ask if you are on the hunt for an extra point or two!