Web writing basics
- Keep content short and simple. Every sentence should contain a fact and have a purpose.
- Use bulleted lists and headers to break up content and make it scannable.
- Use plain language that is findable and actionable.
- Keep important information at the top and get more specific further down.
- Use the active voice.
Why write for the web?
- The information is easier to consume.
- Your users will find the information they need quickly.
- It works in tandem with SEO, ADA compliance, and your overall content strategy.
- Structuring your content using the best practices listed above increases white space and visual interest of a page.
Learn more about these best practices:
Content Style and Formatting Content Strategy