Examinations are important mechanisms for evaluation of student learning. Cheating on examinations is contrary to both academic integrity standards and to ethical standards. Work done for all DePaul courses must adhere to the University Academic Integrity Policy, which you can review in the Student Handbook or by visiting Academic Integrity at DePaul University.
Examinations in online courses can be proctored using the Examity System. Faculty teaching fully online courses can request to use Examity here.
Each D2L course that uses Examity will have a link to the Examity Dashboard:
The Examity dashboard is divided into 4 sections:
- Courses/Exams: This is where you will go to edit your exam shell, select your FairExam Level of Online Security and tailor the rules to meet your needs.
- Student: Click the “Student” tab to search student enrollment records.
- Exam Status: Track your students’ scheduled, completed and proctored exams. You will also have access to the video recordings of all proctored tests as well as time-stamped flags and comments.
- Reports: Review analytics associated with your exams.
Selecting Your FairExam Level and Tailoring Exam Rules
- Click on Courses/Exams.
Next, click on the white arrow beside the course ID # on the left-hand side.
A list of exams within the course will drop down. Click on the pencil icon in the row of the exam you wish to edit.
A screen will pop up that is titled Edit Exam. Verify your exam details.
Select your FairExam Level from the drop down menu. We suggest that you select Level 3: Live Proctoring. Learn more about FairExam Levels on Examity's website.
- Scroll down to see the Exam Rules listed. In the Additional Rules section, check all boxes that apply. Enter any special instructions for the proctor and/or student in the Special Instructions text box.
To save information entered in the Special Instructions box, click Save before hitting Update. Proctor support will read your notes prior to the exam and make sure all students adhere to them.
If students require test accommodations, you can make sure proctor support is aware ahead of time by entering the information in Examity.
- First, click on Students on the Examity dashboard.
- Next, click on the Search button.
- Then, click on the Pencil icon located in the row of the student who requires the accommodation.
- Select Yes from the Special Accommodations drop down menu and enter the appropriate information.
Tracking Exam Status
- Check the status of scheduled, completed, and proctored exams by clicking Exam Status in the Examity dashboard. You can see which students have completed their exams and whether or not they had any violations. This is also where you view any student violations.
- You can watch videos of your students taking their exams by clicking the blue View link. If the View link is not clickable, that means the exam has not yet been audited. All exams will be audited within 48 hours of the student completing the exam. Recordings are available for 30 days and then removed from the Examity system to ensure privacy for all parties involved.
Examity Flagging System
The Examity flagging system provides instructors with a snapshot of what happened during each test.
- Green flags are raised when there is no incident.
- Yellow flags are issued when a rule is broken but cheating does not take place.
- Red flags are given when the student exhibits clear cheating behavior.
- Blue alerts are communicated If a technical issue arises.