To help ensure academic integrity in online exams DePaul offers security and verification services via Examity. Examity is a live proctoring service for online exams, in which students are monitored and recorded. The online proctors observe DePaul students during exams, and intervene if required. Detailed reports and videos are sent to faculty if DePaul’s Academic Integrity Policies are broken.
Here at DePaul, Examity is only available for fully online courses. Examity is designed for high-stakes exams, such as midterms and finals. Please note that while there is no cost to the student, the University will only cover costs for up to two exams per course.
Each D2L course that uses Examity will have a link to the Examity Dashboard:
The Examity dashboard is divided into 4 sections:
- Courses/Exams: Edit exam shells, select the FairExam Level of Online Security and tailor the exam rules.
- Student: Search student enrollment records.
- Exam Status: Track students’ scheduled, completed and proctored exams. This is also where video recordings of all proctored tests as well as time-stamped flags and comments can be found.
- Reports: Review analytics of the proctored exams.
Selecting the FairExam Level and Tailoring Exam Rules
- Select Courses/Exams.
Next, select the dropdown arrow beside the course ID #.
A list of exams within the course will drop down. Select the pencil icon in the row of the exam that needs editing.
A screen will pop up that is titled Edit Exam. Verify the exam details.
Select the FairExam Level from the drop down menu. "Level 3: Live Proctoring" should be selected. Learn more about FairExam Levels on Examity's website.
- Scroll down to see the Exam Rules listed. In the Additional Rules section, check all boxes that apply. Enter any special instructions for the proctor and/or student in the Special Instructions text box.
To save information entered in the Special Instructions box, select Save before selecting Update. Proctor support will read the notes prior to the exam and make sure all students adhere to them.
If students require test accommodations, enter the information in Examity prior to to exam start date.
- Select Students on the Examity dashboard.
- Select the Search button.
- Enter students first and last name or email in the search boxes.
- Select Search.
- Select the Pencil icon located in the row of the student that requires the accommodation.
- Select Yes from the Special Accommodations drop down menu and enter the appropriate information.
- Select Update.
the Testing Window
If a student needs to schedule an exam outside the testing window please fill out this form: Reschedule Examity Exam
Tracking Exam Status
- Check the status of scheduled, completed, and proctored exams by selecting Exam Status in the Examity dashboard.
- Watch student exam recordings by selecting the View link. If the View link is not clickable, that means the exam has not yet been audited. All exams will be audited within 48 hours of the student completing the exam. Recordings are available for 30 days and then removed from the Examity system to ensure privacy for all parties involved.
Examity Flagging System
The Examity flagging system provides instructors with a snapshot of what happened during each test.
- Green flags are raised when there is no incident.
- Yellow flags are issued when a rule is broken but cheating does not take place.
- Red flags are given when the student exhibits clear cheating behavior.
- Blue alerts are communicated If a technical issue arises.