Virtual classrooms allow you to create a real-time online teaching and learning environment. Our service, called YouSeeU, integrates virtual classrooms directly into your D2L course. These rooms can include two-way audio, multi-point video, interactive whiteboard, application and desktop sharing, dynamic media, and session recording. With an Online Room, you can engage with your students in many of the same ways as in a traditional classroom.
For the best experience with YouSeeU, we recommend that you use Google Chrome as your browser. If you do not have Google Chrome, you can use Mozilla Firefox. Be aware that some features do not work in Firefox. We recommend that you do not use Apple Safari, Microsoft Edge, or Internet Explorer with YouSeeU sessions as these browsers will result in significantly reduced functionality.
Creating a Virtual Classroom Session
This is currently a two-step process. You will first create the classroom using the virtual classroom tool and then you will add the link to the classroom to the Content area of your class site via external learning tools.
Creating a Virtual Classroom Session
Create a quicklink to a virtual classroom session
- Navigate to your course then click Content.
- In the module or sub-module where you want to add the quicklink, click Add Existing Activities then Virtual Classroom
- Click the orange Schedule Meeting button.
- Give your session a name (for example, "Peer Review Session 2")
- Set a date for your meeting to start (note, start dates cannot begin in the past).
- Apply other settings as needed:
- Max Duration – this allows you to set how long you would like the session to last. Sessions can last from 15 to 90 minute.
- Record - check this box if you would like to record the session meeting. Recordings are available to the users in your class for 4 months after the session ends.
- Automatic Link to Recording - if you check the box for recording, you can have YouSeeU generate an automatic link to the recording for student.
- Allow External Participants - check this box if you would like users other than students in your course to join your meeting. Checking this box will give you a link you can send to external participants like guest lectures or visiting students.
- Whole class - check this box if you would like to have the whole class in the session, uncheck this box if you would like to select which students can join this session.
- Click the orange Save button.
Add a link to virtual classroom session into Content
- From your course, click Content.
- Navigate to the module or submodule where you would like to place your link.
- Click Add Existing Activities then External Learning Tools.
- Select the name of the session that you created (for example, "Peer Review Session 2")
Entering your scheduled session
- Navigate to the session's link in content.
- From the Meeting Lobby Page, click the orange Enter Meeting Room (New & Improved) button.
- Select how you would like to join the meeting:
- Audio - enables your microphone to speak to the rest of the users, after you click this, you will be prompted to select a microphone and speaker source
- Listen Only - doesn't enable your microphone, only allows you to listen to the other users
Doing stuff inside your session
Upload a presentation or document
- Once inside your session, click the blue Actions button in the bottom left-hand corner.
- Click Upload a presentation. (note, sessions can’t be uploaded ahead of the scheduled meeting)
- Click inside the gray box that says Click here (or drop file) for uploading to browse for your file or drag and drop your file into the area. The following file types can be uploaded into your session:
- Documents (.PDF, .DOCX, .DOC, .TXT)
- Images (.JPG, .JPEG, .PNG)
- Presentations (.PPTX, .PPT)
- Spreadsheets (.XLSX, .XLS)
- The last file uploaded will be the default file shown. To change the file, click the blue Show button to the left of the file title. (Note, to show just a blank screen, select Default.PDF).
- Click Close in the bottom left-hand corner to save your changes.
Share your webcam with all participants
- Click the blue Share Webcam button at the bottom of the screen (near the middle).
- You may need to allow access to your webcam when prompted by your browser.
- Your image will show in a sidebar on the left-hand screen.
- To stop sharing your webcam, click Exit Webcam.
Share your desktop with all participants
- Make sure that you've installed the Google Chrome extension.
- Click the blue Share Desktop button at the bottom of the screen (near the middle).
- You will be prompted to choose either:
To stop sharing your desktop, click the blue Stop Sharing button that appears at the bottom of your screen.
- Your entire screen -- whatever is shown on your screen will be shared with the session
- Application window -- choose one application to share with the session; only what appears on this application will be shown to the session.
Poll all participants
If you'd like to poll your students while in a session, you can have a question pop up on their screen.
- During your session, click the blue Actions button in the bottom left-hand corner.
- Click Initiate a Poll.
- Select your answer type. You will likely use one of the following types:
Students will be able to start answering once you chose a poll type. If you choose Custom Poll the students will not see the answer options until you click Start Poll
When you're ready to close the poll, click Publish. The results of the poll will be published to the current slide or screen. (Note, every poll you publish will stay on the slide it is published to even when you navigate away from that slide).
- Yes/No - presents students the options "Yes" or "No"
- True/False - presents students the options "True" or "False"
- Custom Poll - presents students with text options that you supply
Viewing a session's recording
If you selected to automatically create a link to record your session, students can access that session by clicking on the link in Content. Sessions are accessible to the participants (and invited external participants at the time of the session) in the class and expire after 4 months.
Editing or canceling a virtual classroom session
For information on editing or canceling virtual classroom sessions, visit YouSeeU's Scheduling Virtual Classroom sessions with Students (https://www.youseeu.com/supports/scheduling-virtual-classroom-sessions-with-students/) support page.