An active shooter is a person or persons who appear to be actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people, or injuring people, most often in populated areas. In most cases, active shooters use firearm(s). In some cases, active shooters use improvised explosive devices to cause additional victimization. Active shooter situations evolve rapidly, demanding immediate response by local authorities.
All active shooter events are to be reported to 9-1-1 immediately and then to the Public Safety Office at the Loop Campus (312-362-8400) or the Lincoln Park Campus (773-325-7777). Thereafter, the Public Safety dispatcher will notify their officers immediately.
In addition, the following actions are recommended:
If you feel it is safe to leave the building/area:
- Exit the building immediately.
- As you move away from the threat, notify anyone you may encounter of the danger.
- Call 911 and Public Safety and give as much information as possible.
If exiting the building is not possible or you do not feel it is safe to leave the building:
- Go to the nearest room or office, close and lock the door;
- If the door does not lock, secure and barricade the door with as many obstacles as possible(desk, chairs, tables);
- Close shades/curtains on windows, turn off the lights and get down on the floor and seek protective cover. No one should be visible from the outside;
- Keep quiet and keep your cell phone on silent;
- When it is safe, call 911 and inform the dispatcher, of your location and provide as much information as possible. Stay there until Police or Public Safety arrive or give an all-clear.
If you are not immediately impacted by the incident, please take the following action:
- Stay away from the building/area;
- Notify everyone around you to stay away from the area;
- Obey all verbal direction given by law enforcement/public safety officers;
- Take protective action and stay away from door and windows.