If you do not have a good credit standing, there is no need to despair. There are ways to correct the poor ratings — at least over time. To get a handle on your credit card use and improve your credit standing, you should:
- Set up an appointment with a Financial Fitness advisor to get assistance in developing a plan to pay down your debt.
- Stop using your credit cards and use the Roll-Down Method.
- Pay your bills on time.
- Call your lenders and negotiate lower payments if you can't afford your present ones.
- Make sure to also pay off any collection accounts in your name.
- Before closing any accounts, ask your Financial Fitness advisor how this will affect your credit score.