The Steans Center for Community-based Service Learning will award up to three Community-based Research Faculty Fellowships for the 2019-20 academic year. The deadline for submissions is Thursday, May 30
Each fellow receives a $4,000 stipend and a funded research assistant for three academic quarters. Additional funds will be provided for each fellow and a research assistant or community partner to present at an approved academic conference of choice.
Any tenured, tenure-track, part- or full-time faculty with ongoing teaching responsibilities may submit a proposal. However, adjunct instructors are not eligible. Fellowship applications are encouraged from any discipline or academic profession and research is defined through the faculty member's discipline.
Senior Faculty Fellowship: Past fellowship recipients may apply to be a senior fellow. Dates and criteria for the senior fellowship are the same as for first-time applicants.
The community-based research project must satisfy the following criteria:
- Driven by interests of a community/community organization in the Chicago Area
- Benefit a community or set of communities (i.e., improve the quality of life for residents and contribute to the assets of Chicago area communities)
- Draw on the faculty member’s expertise
- Advance the faculty member’s scholarship
- Support development of students' community-based research skills