The following assumptions are applied throughout this plan:
- Campus emergencies may occur at any time of year, any day and at any time with no warning;
- Campus emergencies can be caused by an accident, a natural disaster, or criminal behavior by an individual or group;
- The University’s campuses and suburban facilities are located in cities with well-trained, responsive police and fire departments equipped to handle all emergencies;
- The University relies upon the Chicago Police Department for assistance in formulating crime prevention techniques and in planning emergency response procedures, protocols and strategies;
- If a major or serious crime occurs at any University campus, the police in that jurisdiction, will, once on the scene, take control of the situation as provided by law.