The Irwin W. Steans Center for Community-based Service Learning and Community Service Studies is accepting applications for the McCormick Community Internship for the 2016-2017 academic year.
The McCormick Foundation has generously established an endowment at DePaul's Steans Center in order to provide funding for internships in community-based organizations that allow DePaul undergraduates to apply their knowledge and skills to benefit an organization while simultaneously providing the student with valuable work experience. This internship is reserved for DePaul's most community-engaged junior and senior undergraduates who have demonstrated a commitment to issues of social inequality, community service and responsibility, and academic excellence throughout their undergraduate careers and who seek to advance their understanding of community with a Chicago non-profit. The McCormick Community Internship is for students from all disciplines and departments at DePaul.
As a part of the McCormick Community Internship application, students must work in collaboration with a community organization to design their own internship. The organization should have a mission that addresses issues of social inequality and/or social injustice. The internship should be focused on project-based work that both utilizes the student’s individual talents, experiences and academic expertise as well as benefits the community organization. If accepted into the internship program, the student will complete his or her proposed project over the course of the quarter. Continuation of the project can occur for up to two additional consecutive terms. This internship is a great opportunity for students to merge their academic and professional interests with their passion for community work for an entire academic year.
The McCormick Community Internship is a quarter-long internship program with potential for renewal for up to two additional quarters. Interns receive $1,300 per academic quarter for 100 hours of work with their organization. At the end of the year, McCormick interns present their final projects at the Steans Center’s annual Service Speaks conference to be held next in May 2017. The presentations will highlight the work they did at the organization with clear demonstration of an achieved goal.
- 3.0 GPA
- Undergraduate status, enrolled in at least 6 credit hours
- Previous experience in a minimum of one Community-based Service learning (CbSL) Course (or equivalent).
Requirements if Accepted
- Completion of proposed project
- 100 hours of work at the internship site
- Written final reflection
- Attend a mandatory orientation at the Steans Center, in addition to participation in three reflection sessions with coordinator and fellow interns
- Presentation at the Steans Center annual Service Speaks conference (May, 2017)
Please visit the Campus Job Board and find the position titled McCormick Community Internship (MCI) Intern and submit the following (studentemployment.depaul.edu):
- Resume that demonstrates substantial commitment to civic engagement and emerging leadership qualities
To be submitted in hard copy to the Steans Center:
- McCormick application
- Project timeline ( must have community partner email MCI program assistant to confirm project )
- Letter of recommendation from a professor or supervisor familiar with your work
For more information please contact MCI Program Assistant Yesenia Perez.