Wintrust Arena Purse and Bag Policy
The Wintrust Arena has a very strict purse and bag policy for all events, including commencement. Please familiarize yourself with this policy by clicking here as well as reviewing the list of prohibited items.
To see the full commencement schedule, visit the Commencement Ceremonies page. Ceremonies generally last 2-3 hours each.
Graduates should plan to be at the Arena at least one hour prior your ceremony start time. Parking is available at the Arena, as are public transportation options. We encourage everyone to utilize the CTA. Traffic is always heavy in the area and the parking garage can have long lines, please plan accordingly.
Students will line up by their degree program, process into the Arena and take their seats. Following the procession, the ceremony will begin.
Commencement marshals will direct students to receive their diploma at the appropriate time. Students will walk across the stage just prior to their name being called, as indicated by a marshal (to ensure your name is called while receiving the diploma cover).
The program then concludes with the induction to the alumni society and procession out of the Arena.
Given the solemn yet celebratory nature of commencement, all
participants are expected to follow some basic rules of etiquette for
Graduates are expected to stay for the duration of the ceremony.
- Candidates for bachelor's degrees: your
cap should be worn so that it sits parallel with the ground,
with the tassel hanging to the right. During the ceremony, your
officiant will ask you to move your tassel from the right side to the left.
- Master's candidates should wear your caps with the attached tassel hanging to the left.
- Doctoral candidates should drape the academic hood over the left or right arm before they walk on to the stage. The hood is then presented to their faculty advisor, who will slip it over the candidate.
- Celebrate your accomplishment in a way that is in keeping with the
solemnity of this occasion. Keep in mind that many people have worked
long and hard to enjoy this day — do not allow your personal celebrations to
disrupt the ceremony.
Cap and Gown Returns
Your gown must be returned prior to exiting the Arena. Drop off bins will be available as you exit the Arena.
* Undergraduates may keep their cap and tassel
* Graduate students may keep their tassel
* All graduates may keep any honor cords and stoles