DePaul University invites graduating students from the Class of 2019 to apply to be the student speaker at their respective commencement ceremony. It is an honor to be selected to present the student commencement address - to convey a message of inspiration and encouragement, share common experiences and insights, and inspire your fellow graduates to carry the DePaul tradition out into the world.
The application site will open in Winter Quarter.
Graduating students interested in delivering the commencement address must meet these criteria:
- Be eligible for graduation.
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing.
- Commit to attend and participate fully in the commencement ceremony, including any rehearsals.
- The address should be between 3 – 5 minutes. This translates to approximately 400 – 650 words or 2 – 3 double-spaced, typed pages.
- Because you will present the speech to fellow students graduating from more than one school or college, it is important to keep the DePaul themes broad. The address should reference experiences common to all DePaul students.
- Discuss the transformative power of the DePaul educational experience and the Vincentian mission – how it develops a desire to make a change in the world.
- Include examples from collegiate life such as common coursework (general education classes), dorm life, co-curricular involvement, service, reflection on the mission and values of DePaul.
- Avoid personal references that are unique to personal experience unless they provide insights into an extraordinary life lesson valuable to your listeners.
- A variety of emotional content is always welcome in a speech. Humor is useful as well as a serious tone, as well as joy and sorrow. You do not have to include all of these, but emotional monotony can make for a difficult listening experience.
Eligible and interested students are required to submit an online application. This application must include a copy of the manuscript of your commencement address. You may also include a 1-minute video (via YouTube or another video hosting service) of yourself presenting a portion of your written commencement address. The video is optional.
A selection committee comprised of representatives from each college and Student Government will review entries and choose student speaker candidates to attend an in-person audition. At the audition, the student speaker candidate will present his/her draft speech before the selection committee.
The selection committee will consider the following when making their selection of student speakers:
- Clarity of ideas
- Appeal to a broad audience & common experiences of DePaul students
- Quality of speech content
- Length of presentation (appropriate word length)
- Extent to which the speech represents the mission and values of DePaul
- Speaker’s delivery – well prepared, engaging, vocal variety, animated delivery, stage presence
- Taking into account the above criterion the committee will also seek a diverse representation of DePaul students.
The selection committee will announce the selected speakers no later than one week after the auditions are completed. The selection committee will also notify unsuccessful applicants at this time.
The selected speakers will work with a coach to refine their speech and delivery.