DePaul University Teaching and Learning Conference
Friday, May 17th, 2019 | Lincoln Park Student Center
All DePaul faculty and staff members are invited to register and submit proposals for the annual Teaching and Learning Conference. The theme of this year's conference, Better Together: Creating Inclusive Learning Environments, challenges us to reflect on the range of our students' diversity and how we account for it in our teaching practices as we strive to create learning communities that are both welcoming and academically challenging.
Our keynote speaker, Michele DiPietro, together with their former colleagues from Carnegie Mellon, co-authored the critically acclaimed book How Learning Works: 7 Research-Based Principles for Smart Teaching. DiPietro is the Executive Director of the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning and a Professor of Statistics at Kennesaw State University in Marietta, Georgia. A former president of the Professional and Organizational Development (POD) Network in Higher Education and current board member of the International Consortium for Educational Development, DiPietro has presented extensively on the connection between inclusive teaching methods and evidence-based principles for effective pedagogies.
Presentations on this year's theme are encouraged to address diversity and inclusion in its many intersecting dimensions, including race and ethnicity; sex and gender; socio-economic status and prior educational attainment; religion and culture; language proficiency, nationality, and immigration status; visible and invisible disabilities, etc. Here are some example guiding questions that presentations may address:
- What distinguishes a welcoming learning environment from a non-welcoming one?
- What are the benefits of creating inclusive learning environments?
- How can attention to inclusion help to realize DePaul’s Vincentian Mission?
- How can we, as educators, create inclusive spaces for one another and our students?
- How can the curriculum be expanded to include a diverse range of culturally and linguistically diverse perspectives?
- How can you help your students (and your colleagues) recognize the connection between inclusion and success?
View Call For Proposals Submit Proposal
Sponsorship & Planning
The conference is sponsored by DePaul’s Center for Teaching and Learning with financial assistance from the Quality of Instruction Council (QIC). Key contributors to the planning of the conference include: Student Affairs, the University-Center for Writing-based Learning (UCWbL), and Faculty Council's Committee on Learning and Teaching (COLT).