DePaul’s Teaching and Learning Certificate Program (TLCP) supports the university's strategic goal to enhance faculty teaching effectiveness and helps faculty continue to grow as transformative, mission-driven educators. The program begins with TLCP Foundations, a six-week course that covers the essentials of effective and inspired teaching at DePaul. Participants will learn how to:
- integrate DePaul’s mission into teaching practices
- align measurable course objectives with activities and instructional content
- employ fair and effective assessment strategies that improve learning
- use teaching strategies that promote active learning
- create learning environments that are inclusive, respectful, and productive
- encourage metacognition and reflection
What will participants receive?
Participants who successfully complete the TLCP Foundations course will receive:
- a $400 stipend
- a certificate
- mentoring support for one year
- the opportunity to receive additional incentives and recognition for completing more advanced and specialized training offerings beyond TLCP Foundations
Spring 2019 Schedule
The spring offering of TLCP Foundations begins on April 8th and ends on May 24th. In addition to attending the meetings listed below, participants will spend roughly four to five hours each week completing online assignments and activities.
||10:00 am - 1:00 pm
||Richardson Library Idea Lab
2350 N. Kenmore, Room 207
||10:00 am - 12:00 pm
||Online Video Conference
||10:00 am - 1:00 pm
1 E. Jackson, Room 11018
How much time will it take to complete the course?
TLCP Foundations requires roughly 30 hours to complete over a period of six weeks. This includes approximately 24 hours of online work and three synchronous meetings (two online and one via video conference). Each meeting consists of approximately two hours of instruction. Face-to-face meetings will include an additional hour for lunch and small-group discussions.
What are the participation and assignment requirements?
To receive credit and compensation for the course, participants must:
- attend three class meetings (two face-to-face and one via video conference)
- complete weekly online readings, videos, quizzes, and discussions
- complete all assignments, including the development of a teaching philosophy aligned with DePaul’s mission and a reflection on how the course will impact their teaching
How do faculty enroll?
Full-time and part-time faculty interested in participating in the Spring TLCP Foundations cohort should contact the dean of their college or school. General questions about the course can be sent to email@example.com.
How often is TLCP Foundations offered?
For the 2019 – 2020 academic year and beyond, it’s likely that TLCP Foundations will be offered two to three times per year. Details on future offerings will be shared following the conclusion of the pilot offering in spring 2019.