DePaul’s Teaching and Learning Certificate Program (TLCP) supports the university's strategic goal to enhance faculty teaching effectiveness and helps faculty continue to grow as transformative, mission-driven educators. The program begins with TLCP Foundations, a six-week course that covers the essentials of effective and inspired teaching at DePaul. Participants will learn how to:
- integrate DePaul’s mission into teaching practices
- align measurable course objectives with activities and instructional content
- employ fair and effective assessment strategies that improve learning
- use teaching strategies that promote active learning
- create learning environments that are inclusive, respectful, and productive
- encourage metacognition and reflection
What do participants say?
What will participants receive?
Participants who successfully complete the TLCP Foundations course will receive:
- a $400 stipend
- a certificate
- mentoring support for one year
- the opportunity to receive additional incentives and recognition for completing more advanced and specialized training beyond TLCP Foundations
How much time will it take to complete the course?
The schedule tables near the bottom of this page provide details on meeting dates and times for specific cohorts. Generally speaking, the time commitment and meeting requirements for every cohort are as follows:
- Participants should expect to invest at least 32 hours total over a period of six weeks.
- The training includes two required face-to-face meetings—one at the beginning and one at the end of the course. These meetings typically run from 10 am to 1:30 pm.
- Each week, participants should expect to dedicate at least four hours to completing online readings and activities.
- Each Friday between the first and last meetings, participants will attend a 30-minute videoconference to reflect on what they've learned from the latest module of online readings and activities. These meetings will be offered in the morning and afternoon so that participants can select the time that works best for them.
What are the participation and assignment requirements?
To receive credit and compensation for the course, participants must:
- Attend both face-to-face meetings and at least three out of four video conferences.
- Complete weekly online readings, videos, quizzes, and discussions.
- Complete all assignments, including the development of a teaching philosophy aligned with DePaul’s mission.
Who should I contact with questions?
For questions about TLCP Foundations or other faculty development programs and events at DePaul, email email@example.com.