Creating an ePortfolio Template
If you would like to provide your students a basic structure or some starting content for their ePortfolio, you can create a template ePortfolio and share it with the entire course.
NOTE: You can base a template based on an existing ePortfolio that you own, or create a new ePortfolio. To create a template based on an existing ePortfolio, go to the Share Your Portfolio with the Class as a Template steps below.
Create an ePortfolio
If you already have an existing ePortfolio to make into your template, proceed to the next guide.
- From the Digication "Home" page, click Create under the "My ePortfolios" section.
- Enter a title for your portfolio.
- Create the new ePortfolio and make any changes to the layout, appearance, or content that you would like to share in the template.
NOTE: Your template can include structural and aesthetic settings and/or content items for students to begin with. If you are including content items, make sure you have Published all modules. Unpublished content will not be included in the shared template.
Share Your Portfolio with the Class as a Template
- From the ePortfolio you want to share as a template, click the menu in the upper-right corner and select Save as Template.
- In Step 1, Template Info, you can adjust the title of the template, add a description, or add a license, like a Creative Commons license.
- Click Continue.
- In Step 2, Who Can See the Template, you should select who should have access to your portfolio template.
You will most likely want to select your course. Next to “Also share with specific people, groups or courses,” click Edit. Type in the course that you want to share the template with.
- Click Continue.
- In Step 3, Template Default Settings, you can select settings that will be automatically selected when students pick up your template.
For example, if you know that you want students to share their portfolios with your course, you can choose for the template to come with those settings already selected.
- Click Save Settings.
- Now, when your students create a new portfolio, your class template will be available under “Pick a Template from Library.”
NOTE: To make changes to your template, you need to edit the original ePortfolio that you created to be the source of the template. Then, you need to follow all of the steps here to re-share the ePortfolio as a template. Finally, if you want to remove the older version of the template from your library (and from students’ view), you’d need to navigate to the Library.
Revise your ePortfolio Template
To make changes to your template, you need to edit the original ePortfolio that you created to be the source of the template. Then, you need to follow all of the steps here to re-share the ePortfolio as a template.
To remove the older version of the template:
- Navigate to your Library by going to a portfolio and hovering over the left-hand menu. Click My Library.
- Select the template you want to remove. Click the three small dots, and select Delete.
View our guides on Creating Assignments or Assessing Submissions to learn more about working with student ePortfolio assignments.