Beginning in July, the SharePoint Team will be moving a newly upgraded version of our online forms solution, SmartForms, to all responsive SharePoint sites. Existing forms will be upgraded for you on a scheduled basis. This process is expected to complete in mid-to-late September.
Visually, the upgraded SmartForms will appear almost unchanged to users filling out the forms. The majority of the changes are within the SmartForms web part and setup. No changes will be made to Lists – you will not lose any existing list data.
The first two parts to the documentation for SmartForms remains unchanged. Updated instructions for the changed parts for the new version of SmartForms can now be found on this site.
Full Updated Instructions PDF
1. List Instructions (same as old version)
2. Web Part Instructions (same as old version)
3. Configuration (updated!)
4. Advanced Configuration (new!)
You are welcome to re-attend an in-person SmartForms training. Updated sessions for the new version of SmartForms will be offered starting mid-August. If you are interested in attending, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is Changing in the New Version
Not a whole lot is changing overall, but the process is simpler. The process of creating the List and the first steps of creating the SmartForm are the same. The bulk of the changes are in the SmartForms web part configuration interface when choosing the fields and editing the look and feel of the form itself.
You'll notice the following upgrades to the SmartForms web part editing experience:
- Drag and drop fields from the List into the form
- Rearrange and reorder fields with the drag and drop feature
- Rename fields for increased clarity in the configuration settings
- Add simple widgets within the form
- Customize the Submit button with the Submit widget
- Add headers and descriptions above or below fields using the Spacer widget
- Captcha functionality via the Captcha widget
- Default styling - no need to edit the default CSS
- Increased customization to the post-submit Thank You message and email notification