You can restrict a discussion topic to a group that you've set up in your course site. Then only the students enrolled in the group will be able to see and participate in the discussion topic.
If you haven't already created group discussion topics, you can have D2L automatically create them for you while you are setting up your groups. See the Creating Groups guide for instructions. However, if you want to add group restrictions to discussion topics that you've already set up, follow these steps.
- Go to the Discussions area in your course site.
- Click the Group and Section Restrictions link at the top of the page.
- Select a category of groups in the dropdown menu (required only if you have more than one category of groups.)
- Select a forum in the Forum dropdown menu (required only if you have more than one discussion forum.) Your discussion forum and its topics will be displayed on the lower half of the page.
- Select the checkbox in the Restricted column for any topics that will be restricted to a specific group.
- Select the checkbox for the appropriate group for each topic in the Discussion Groups column.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the page.
Once you've completely finished setting up your discussion, you will want to know more about adding threads and posting replies to them. View the Participating in Discussions guide for more information.