Discussion topics can be restricted to a group that has been set up in the course site. Only the students enrolled in the group will be able to see and participate in the discussion topic.
Note that groups must be created before creating group discussion topics.
- Go to Discussions.
- Select the New button.
- From the dropdown menu, select New Topic.
- Select an existing forum or select the New Forum link to create a new forum.
- Select the topic type "Group or section topic, everyone can access this topic but students only see threads from their own group or section".
- Choose the group under "Group or Section Category".
- Enter a title in the text box.
- Add a description in the "Description" text box (optional).
- Select Save.
Once you've completely finished setting up your discussion, you may want to know more about adding threads and posting replies to them. View the Participating in Discussions guide for more information.