In D2L, instructors can divide students into small groups for activities such as discussions and submissions.
Create a new set of Groups
- Choose Groups from the More dropdown menu.
- Select New Category.
- Enter a name for the category.
- Choose how students will be added to the groups from the Enrollment Type dropdown menu.
After selecting an enrollment type, enter the number of groups to create and/or the number of students per group.
- # of Groups - No Auto Enrollments: Manually add students to a set number of groups.
- Groups of #: D2L automatically enrolls student to groups, capped at a set number of users per group.
- # of Groups: D2L automatically enrolls students to a set number of groups.
- Groups of # - Self-Enrollment: Students enroll themselves into a group, but groups are capped at a set number of users per group.
- # of Groups - Self-Enrollment: Students enroll themselves into one of a set number of groups.
- # of Groups, Capacity of # - Self-Enrollment: Students enroll themselves into one of a set number of groups that are capped at a set number of users per group.
- Single user, member-specific groups: D2L automatically creates one group per student, where they are the only user in the group.
NOTE: D2L does not automatically re-balance enrollments across your groups when students withdraw from your course, even if your groups are set up for automatic enrollment. We recommend that you check your group enrollments and manually change them if necessary.
You might need to enroll students in groups manually or provide students with instructions for self-enrolling in groups. See the Adding Students to Groups
guide for more information.