When creating groups, select one of three enrollment types for them:
- Auto Enrollment: D2L enrolls students in groups automatically.
- No Auto Enrollment: Instructor or an administrator enrolls students to groups manually.
- Self Enrollment: Students enroll in groups themselves.
NOTE: Please know that even if automatic or self-enrollment is selected, it's necessary to manually re-balance groups if students are withdrawing after the start of the term.
Enroll Students in Groups Manually
- Go to Groups (often under More).
- Select Groups from the dropdown menu.
- Select the View Categories dropdown menu (only required if there is more than one set of groups).
- Select the dropdown arrow [A] next to the group category name.
- Select Enroll Users [B].
- The Enroll Users page will open. Select the checkbox for the appropriate group for each student.
- Select the Save button.
Provide Students with Instructions for Self-enrollment
As a best practice, we recommend adding a Groups link in the course navigation bar (see the Navigation Bar guide for instructions), then share these instructions with them.
- Select the Groups link in the course navigation bar.
- Select the View Available Groups button.
- The Available Groups window will open. Select the Join Group link.
After creating and enrolling students to groups, set up group submission folders or discussion topics.