Whenever you create groups in your course, you will select one of three enrollment types for them:
- Auto Enrollment: D2L enrolls students in groups automatically.
- No Auto Enrollment: You or an administrator enrolls students to groups manually.
- Self Enrollment: Students enroll in groups themselves.
Please know that even if you selected automatic or self-enrollment, sometimes it's necessary to manually re-balance your groups if a lot of students withdraw after the start of the term.
Enroll Students in Groups Manually
- Go to the Groups area in your course site.
- Select group category from the View Categories dropdown menu (only required if you have more than one set of groups.)
- Click the dropdown arrow to the right of your group category name, then select Enroll Users. The Enroll Users page will open; it displays a table with your students' names listed as rows and your group names listed as columns.
- Select the checkbox for the appropriate group for each student.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the page.
You'll notice that as you select groups for students, an identity card icon will appear to the right of their names. If you select more than one group for a student, an information icon will appear next to it.
Provide Students with Instructions for Self-enrollment
If students will be enrolling in groups themselves, as a best practice, we recommend that you add a Groups link in your course navigation bar (see the Navigation Bar guide for instructions), then share these instructions with them.
- Click the Groups link in the course navigation bar.
- Click the View Available Groups button at the top of the page. The Available Groups window will open.
- Click the Join Group link for the group that you want to join.
After you have created your groups and enrolled students in them, you might need to set up group submission folders or discussion topics.