From the Classlist area, you can send email messages to one, several, or all of your students at once. There are several things to keep in mind when you send emails from D2L:
- When you email multiple students, D2L adds their email addresses and names in the BCC field. Be sure to keep them there so that you aren't identifying individual students when you're sharing sensitive information.
- If you want to attach a file to an email that you're sending from D2L, please know that the size limit fairly small (10MB). We recommend that you instead post the file to the Content area, then let students know where they can find it in your email.
- If students reply to your email, their messages will go to the email account you have listed in D2L, not the Classlist area in D2L.
Email the Entire Classlist
- Click Classlist in your course navigation bar. The Classlist page will open; it displays a list of the students in your course.
- Click the Email Classlist button at the top of the page. A page will open that displays a list of students who will receive the email.
- Click the Send Email button at the bottom of the page. A "Compose New Message" window will open with the email addresses for everyone in your class listed in the BCC field.
- Enter a title for your email in the Subject field.
- Enter the content of your message in the Body field.
- Click the Upload button to include an attachment, then locate a file to attach it to the message (but see the note in the page introduction regarding file size limits).
- Click the Send button in the upper-left corner of the page when you are done composing your email.
Email Individual Students
- Click Classlist on the course navigation bar. The Classlist page will open.
- Click the checkboxes to the left of the names of the students you want to email (see the note below if not all of your students appear on the list).
- Click the Email link; it appears both above and below the list of participants. A new window will open with the email addresses of all the people you selected listed in the BCC field.
- Repeat steps 4-7 in the above "Emailing the Entire Classlist" section.
As a best practice, you can enter the text from an email that you've sent to all of your students in a news item on your course home page. View the News guide for more information.