The navigation bar, or navbar, is the set of links that appears across the top of your course site. When your
course site is created, the default DePaul navbar will be active, but you may wish to create your
own navbar to give students access to other course tools if you opt to use them frequently, particularly quizzes, groups, or
Surveys. You can also add links to external websites to the navbar.
It is highly recommended that you create a new navbar by copying the default navbar rather than creating a
new navbar from scratch. In addition, you should always leave the Course Home and Edit Course link in your
How to Access Navbars
Click Edit Course > Course Administration in the top navbar, and then click Navigation + Themes.
Creating a New Navbar
The default navbar is shared university-wide, and it cannot be
edited directly by instructors. You must create a copy of the
navbar and edit the copy.
- Click Edit Course > Course Administration on the right side of the navbar.
Navigation + Themes. The Navbar
page will open; it displays a list of the navbars that are
currently available for use.
- Click the
drop-down arrow next to the Course Default
navbar, and select Copy. A new navbar titled Course Default – Copy will now appear in the navbar list.
- Click Course Default – Copy to edit your copy.
- Enter a new name for your navbar.
- Enter a description for your new navbar (optional).
NOTE: Students do not see the navbar name or description. They are
only for your reference when editing your navbars.
- Click Change Theme if you want to select a new layout for
your course’s top navigation (optional). The DePaul
University – Course Default option is selected by default.
- Follow the instructions on the next page to add, remove, or
reorder the links that will appear in your new navbar.
- Click Save and Close when you are done making changes.
Add Links to your Navbar
You can add system links to your navbar to give more attention
to tools usually in the More link group, such as Surveys, Self-
Assessments, Chat, and Groups.
NOTE: Adding a link to a tool normally in the More link group to
your navbar will not remove it from the More link group. You
would have to delete the link group and create a new one. See the Add a Link Group to your Navbar section below.
- Click Add Links in the lower-right corner of the area you
want to add links to .
- Select the boxes for the tools that you want to your navbar.
- Click Add. The window will close, and the tools you selected
will now be displayed in the Links area.
Delete Links in your Navbar
NOTE: Do not remove the Edit Course link from your navbar.
Students will not see it, and it must be in the navbar for you to
access course settings.
- Hold your mouse over the link you want to delete until “X”
appears in the upper right corner.
- Click X. The link will be removed from your
NOTE: An alternate way to remove unused links from the navbar is
to set their status to “off” in the Tools section. Click Edit Course > Course Administration
on your course navbar, and then click Tools at the bottom of the
page. A list of all D2L tools will be displayed. Click the box in the
right-hand column to set a tool’s status to “off”. You can also
rename a tool by typing a new name for it in the Custom Navbar
Reorder Links in your Navbar
- Hold your mouse over the link you want to reorder until
three-line symbol appears on the left side of the link’s
title. Your cursor will turn to the crosshair symbol.
- Hold down your left mouse button to pick up the link, and
drag it to its new location. A gray bar will appear
that indicates where the link will be placed when you drop it.
- Release your mouse button to drop the link in its new
NOTE: Your new navbar will not appear at the top of your course site
until you make it active. See instructions for setting the navbar as
active on the next page.
Add Custom Links to your Navbar
You can add custom links that you create to your course navbar.
Custom links can link to specific items in your course or external
- Click Create Custom Link in the link area in which you want
to add a custom link .
- Enter a name for your link in the name field. This will be the
label for the link in your navbar.
- Enter location information for the custom link.
- To link to an external website, copy its web address and
paste it into the URL field.
- To link to a specific item within your course, click Insert
Quicklink below the URL field. A list of course areas
will open; click the specific area in which the item is
located, and then click the item you want to link to.
Add a Link Group to your Navbar
A link group will display as a title and drop-down arrow in your
navbar. When students click on the link, a drop-down menu will
open that displays all of the links that you add to the group. (The More drop-down menu that appears in the default navbar is an
example of a link group.)
- Click Custom Links at the top of the Navbars page.
- Click Create Link Group.
- Enter a name for your link group. This is the text that will
appear with the drop-down arrow in the navbar.
- Add the links that will appear in your link group’s drop-down
- Click Add Existing Link to select an area in your course.
- Click Create Link to create a custom link to an item in
your course or to a webpage.
- Repeat step 4 until you are done adding links to your link
- Click Save.
NOTE: To find your custom link group quickly when you are adding
it to your navbar, click Custom Groups at the top of the Add
Setting Your Navbar as Active
When you have finished editing your navbar, you must set it as
active in the main Navbars page.
- Click the drop-down arrow to open the Active Navbar
menu. A list of all of your navbars will be displayed.
- Select the navbar you want to make active.
- Click Apply.
NOTE: After you have set your navbar as active, any changes you
make to the navbar will be immediately visible to students.