The navigation bar, or navbar, is the set of links that appears across the top of the course site. When the course site is created, the default DePaul navbar will be active. Instructors may wish to create a custom navbar to give students access to other course tools if used frequently, particularly quizzes, groups, or
Surveys. External websites can also be added to the navbar.
Note: It is highly recommended that new navbars be created by copying the default navbar rather than creating a
new navbar from scratch. In addition, the Course Home and Edit Course links should be kept whenever possible.
Creating a New Navbar
- Select Edit Course.
- Select Course Administration.
Navigation & Themes.
- The Navbar
page will open; it displays a list of the navbars that are
currently available for use.
Note: If the Course Administration page is set to show tools by category (the default), Navigation & Themes will be under the heading 'Site Setup'. If the Course Administration page is set to view by name, then Navigation & Themes will be listed alphabetically.
- Select the
drop-down arrow next to the Course Default
- Select Copy [B].
- A new navbar titled "Default Navbar - Copy" will now appear in the navbar list.
- Select Default Navbar - Copy to edit.
- Enter a new navbar name.
- Enter a description for the navbar (optional).
NOTE: Students do not see the navbar name or description. They are
only for your reference.
- Select Change Theme if you want to select a new layout for
your course’s top navigation (optional). The "DePaul
University – Course Default" option is selected by default.
- Follow the instructions below to add, remove, or
reorder the links that will appear in your new navbar.
- Select Save and Close when you are done making changes.
NOTE: Your new navbar will not appear at the top of your course site until you make it active. See instructions for setting the navbar as active on the next page.
Add Links to your Navbar
Links to system tools, such as groups, surveys, self-assessments, quizzes, etc can be added to the course navbar to give more attention.
NOTE: Adding a link to a tool normally in the More "link group" to
your navbar but will not remove it from the More link group. Removing it from this "link group" will require the creation of a new "link group" that does not include the link.
- Select Add Links .
- Select the box(es) for the tool(s) to be added to the navbar.
- Select Add.
- The window will close, and the tools selected
will be displayed in the Links area.
Delete Links in your Navbar
NOTE: Do not remove the Edit Course link from your navbar.
Students will not see it, and it must be in the navbar for in order to
access course settings.
- Hold the mouse over the link to be deleted until “X”
- Select X.
- The link will be removed from the navbar.
Reorder Links in your Navbar
- Hold the mouse over the link to be reordered until
three-line symbol appears on the left side of the link’s
title. The cursor will turn into the crosshair symbol.
- Hold down the left mouse button to pick up the link.
- Drag the link to its new location. A gray bar will appear
that indicates where the link will be placed when you drop it.
- Release the mouse button to drop the link in its new
Add Custom Links to your Navbar
Custom links can be created and added to the course navbar.
Custom links can link to specific items in the course or external
- Select Create Custom Link in the link area in which a custom link is to be added .
- Enter a name for the link in the name field. This name will be the
label for the link in the navbar.
- Enter location information for the custom link.
- To link to an external website, copy its web address and
paste it into the URL field.
- To link to a specific item within the course, select Insert
- A list of course areas
will open. Select the specific area in which the item is
- Select the item to link to.
Add a Link Group to your Navbar
A link group will display as a title and drop-down arrow in your
navbar. When students click on the link, a drop-down menu will
open that displays all of the links that you add to the group. (The More drop-down menu that appears in the default navbar is an
example of a link group.)
- Select Custom Links.
- Select Create Link Group.
- Enter a name for the link group. This is the text that will
appear with the drop-down arrow in the navbar.
- Add the link(s) that will appear in link group’s drop-down
- Select Add Existing Link to select an area in the course.
- Select Create Link to create a custom link to an item in
the course or to an external page.
- Repeat step 4 until all links have been added to the group.
- Select Save.
NOTE: To find the custom link group quickly when you are adding
it to your navbar, Select Custom Groups at the top of the Add
Setting the New Navbar as Active
When all edits have been completed, the navbar must be set as active in the main Navbars page before students will see it in the course.
- Select the drop-down arrow to open the Active Navbar
menu. A list of all of available navbars will be displayed.
- Select the navbar to be made active.
- Select Apply.
NOTE: After you have set the navbar as active, any changes made to the navbar will be immediately visible to students.