Grade items can be assigned to individual submission folders, discussion topics, and quizzes in your course. Also, you can create grade items for assignments that are not being completed or turned in through D2L and manually enter scores for them in the Grades area.
These instructions focus on numeric grade items since they are the type most commonly used. For help creating other types of grade items, consult with a member of the FITS staff.
Also, please know that you can create grade items for submission folders, discussion topics, and quizzes within their settings. See the pages for these D2L tools for more information.
- Go to the Grades area in your D2L course site.
- Click the Manage Grades link at the top of the page.
- Click the New button, then select Item from the dropdown list.
- Select Numeric as your grade item type.
- Enter a name for your grade item.
- Select or create a category (optional). If you select a category that you've already set up, some fields on this page might be automatically filled in based on the category's settings.
- Enter the number of points the assignment is valued at in the Maximum Points field.
- Enter a value for the weight you are assigning to the grade item (only for weighted grades.)
- Click the Save and Close button at the bottom of the page.
Once you've created grade items, you can associate them with assignments in D2L, such as quizzes, submission folders, and discussion topics. This allows D2L to automatically transfer the scores you enter to the Grades area.
You can also enter grades directly into the Grades area; view the Entering Grades guide for more information.