When quizzes in D2L are randomized, each student receives a different quiz, and it becomes more difficult for them to share their questions and answers.
Since you can only access random sections within quizzes, you must create a quiz before you can create its random sections. See the Creating Quizzes guide for more information.
Add a Randomized set of Questions to a Quiz
You can create random sections in quizzes to distribute a unique set of questions to each student. This can include an entire set of questions or a subset of questions randomly pulled from a section in the Question Library. (See the Question Library guide for instructions on creating sections and adding questions to them.)
- Go to the quiz to which you want to add randomized questions.
- Click the Add/Edit Questions button. A page will open that lists items, both sections and questions, that have been added to the quiz .
- Click the New button, then select Random Section on the drop-down menu.
- Enter a name for the randomized section in the “Section Name” field.
- Click Save. The new randomized section will now appear in the list of items on the quiz.
- Click on the name of the section you just created.
- Click the Import button. A page that allows you to select questions from within your course will open.
- Select the appropriate section from your Question Library on the “Source Section” drop-down menu. A list of all questions saved to this section will appear in the Source Collection section at the bottom of the page.
- Check the checkbox next to each of the questions you would like to include on the quiz.
- Click Save. All of the questions you selected will now be added to the list of items on your quiz.
- Enter the number of questions you would like to have appear on the quiz in the “Questions per Attempt” field. This will allow you two options for randomizing questions:
Enter the number of points assigned to each question in the “Points Each” field.
Click the Done Editing Questions button on the top right side of the page when you are done adding randomized sections to your quiz.
- Enter a number less than the total number of questions that you have added to your test if you want each version of the test to display a randomized subset of the questions.
- Enter a number that is the same as the total number of questions that you have added to your test if you want each version of the test to display all of the questions, but in a randomized order.
Once you've finished adding questions to your quiz, you'll want to preview it to make sure everything is correct before students begin taking it. View the Previewing Quizzes guide for more information.