Completion Tracking is a feature that allows students to monitor progress while completing a course. It also allows the instructor to monitor whether students are visiting individual topics. (View the Class Progress guide for more information about using completion tracking to monitor students' activity in the Content area.)
For every module or topic, a completion type must be assigned.
- Required: Automatic—Topics will be marked as complete when the student does something in D2L, like view a file or post to a discussion. (See the Automatic Completion Tracking Appendix below for a full breakdown of how this works for different types of content.)
- Required: Manual—Students will see a checkbox next to the topic, which they must manually click to mark the item as complete.
- Not Required—No completion tracking will be monitored.
To see how completion tracking will appear to students, see the Student View guide for more information.
Set Completion Tracking for an Individual Topic
- Select the dropdown arrow [A] next to the topic title.
- Select Edit Properties In-place [B]. The currently active completion tracking method will appear below the topic's title. The default is Not Required.
- Select the dropdown arrow [A] next to completion type.
- Select a new completion type [B].
Set Completion Tracking for the Entire Content Area or Module
- Select Table of Contents or a Module.
- Select the dropdown arrow [A] next to the tile of the Module or Table of Contents.
- Select Set All Completion [B].
- In the popup window, select a completion type [A].
- Select the Update [B] button. The pop-up window will close, and check marks will now appear next to every topic in the Content area.
Automatic Completion Tracking Appendix
This list indicates when an item is marked complete for different types of topics in Content when "Required: Automatic" is selected.
- Uploaded files are marked complete when a student views them.
- Documents created in D2L (i.e., HTML pages) are marked complete when a student views them.
- Links are marked complete when a student views them.
- Discussions are marked complete after a student’s first post. If the discussion assignment requires students to post more than once, select manual completion tracking.
- Submission folders are marked complete after one submission.
- Quizzes are marked complete after one attempt is submitted.
- Self-assessments are marked complete as soon as they are opened.
- Surveys are marked complete when a student submits a response.
Use Intelligent Agent to set up emails in D2L that automatically alert the students who are not reviewing content or completing assignments . View the Intelligent Agents guide for more information.