The Survey tool allows you to solicit feedback from students regarding any aspect of your course. For example, it can be used as a method for delivering general course evaluations, mid-year reviews, or surveys associated with learning styles and preferences.
Creating and Editing Surveys
- Click More in the course navigation bar, then select Surveys. The Manage Surveys page will open.
- Click the New Survey button at the top of the page.
- Enter a name for your survey.
- Select make results anonymous to hide student data in survey results. The responses to survey questions are available for all users, but the system will not report who made each response.
NOTE: If you set a survey as anonymous, you cannot change that setting later.
- Click Add/Edit Questions to add questions to your Survey.
- Click Add to see a drop-down menu of available question types, as well as the options for creating Sections to organize your Survey.
Click Expand description/submission message to enter text that will be displayed to students at the top of the survey or to enter text that will displayed as a message when students complete the survey. By default, the system displays "You have successfully submitted the survey" as a submission message.
- To organize your Survey by section, select Section in the New drop-down menu, provide a name for your section, then click Save.
- To add questions to your Survey, select the applicable question type in the New drop-down menu, fill out all required fields for the question type you selected, and click Save.
- Click Done Editing Questions on the upper right side of the page when you have added all of the questions to your Survey.
Adding Quiz Questions from the Question Library to your Survey
- Click on the name of the survey into which you want to import questions.
- Click Add/Edit Questions.
- Click Import.
- For the Import Source, select From an existing collection (this is the default option).
- For the Source Collection, select Question Library.
- For the Source Selection, select Collection Root.The questions from your Question Library will appear below these selections.
- Select the checkboxes next to the questions you want to import.
- Click Save. The questions you selected will now be listed in your Survey.
Adding Survey-Specific Questions
All quiz question types are available in the Survey tool, as well as Likert scale questions, which can only be added to surveys.
- Click New, and select Likert Question (LIK) from the drop-down list.
- Enter instructions into the Introductory Text box.
- Choose a scale for your survey.
- Select Include an N/A option if you want this option to be available.
- In the Questions section, enter each item that you want to be rated. You must have at least one item to be rated.
- More question boxes can be added by clicking Add Option above the table.
- Click Save.
Controlling how Students can Navigate a Survey
Mark Questions in a Survey as Mandatory
If you mark a question Mandatory, respondents cannot submit the survey until they have answered the question. Also, mandatory questions cannot be used in conjunction with the Prevent Moving Backwards setting or with branching questions, both of which are described below.
- Click on the name of the survey that contains questions you want to mark as mandatory.
- Click Edit Values above the list of questions in your survey.
- Select the Mandatory checkbox beside the questions you want to require students to answer.
- Click Save.
Prevent Moving Backward in a Survey
You can prevent respondents from returning to previous pages as they complete a survey; however, this setting cannot be sued if your survey has any mandatory questions.
- Click on the name of the Survey you want to restrict students from moving backward in.
- Select Prevent moving backwards through pages above the list of Survey questions.
- Click Save.
Use Branching Questions
Branching allows you to set up questions that will only display to students who provide certain answers. It can be used to ask follow-up questions when students enter a particular answer.
NOTE: If you activate branching, all questions will be presented to students one at a time. Enabling branching will erase any paging layout and the mandatory status of any question.
- Click on the name of the Survey in which you want to include branching.
- Click Branching Wizard below the list of Survey questions. A confirmation window will appear.
- Click Yes to continue. The Branching Wizard window will open; it displays a list of the survey questions and their types, with corresponding answers.
- Create the question branches.
- In the Next field next to an answer, enter the number of the question that the survey will jump to if that answer is chosen.
- Select the Ends Survey checkbox next to an answer to terminate the survey if that answer is chosen. If the Next field is blank and this checkbox is not selected, the survey will automatically go to the next question.
- Click Save.
Viewing Survey Results
- Click the drop-down arrow next to the survey you would like to view, then select Statistics. You will see the overall survey results if the survey was set up as anonymous.
- You can opt to view either an individual student's response or the overall survey results if your survey was not set up as anonymous.
- To view an individual response, click the attempt under the student's name.
- To view an overview of all survey responses, click View Overall Results.
- Click Manage Surveys at the top of the page to return to the main Manage Surveys page.
Activating a Survey
- On the Manage Surveys page, click the name of the survey you want to activate.
- Click the Restrictions tab.
- Click the drop-down arrow on the Status menu, and select Active.
- Click Save.